Increasing your site performance and speed it is something that all of you should do especially now when a lot of good cheep alternatives are out there. In this article I will present you how to setup MaxCDN in WordPress with W3 Total Cache plugin. I am using MaxCDN on my site for a while and I can say that I am very happy with the services that they have to offer.
With only 39.95$ with out the 25% discount you can have an account with 1 Terabyte of data traffic for one year. The price of using MaxCDN is very affordable if you think of all the benefits that you will have.
Below is a video with the features that MaxCDN has:
Steps to Setup MaxCDN With W3 Total Cache
1. Create an account to MaxCDN
To register to MaxCDN you can use the link: MaxCDN and the coupon code: ‘MaxCDNcoupon’ for a 25% discount.
2. Login to MaxCDN and create a Pull Zone
To do this, click on the Manage Zones button and then click on “Create Pull Zone” icon.
On the next page, you will be asked to enter the details for your new Pull zone.
- Pull Zone Name: This can be anything without spaces, minimum 3 characters long. Think of this as your username.
- Origin Server URL: Enter the URL of your wordpress blog. Must have “http://” and the trailing slash(/).
- Custom CDN Domain: Use any subdomain for example: cdn.bitdoze.com
- Label: This is like a description field. It is optional to add a description.
- Compression: We recommend that you enable this as it will save the usage of bandwidth on your account.
After you complete all the details you will hit create and your new pull zone will be created. Now you have to continue with the next configurations.
3. Configure your new pull zone
Now you have to go to Manage Zones => Pull Zones and your new zone will appear here. You have to hit manage to go to the next configurations.
Next, you need to click on the “Settings” tab and look at the custom domains.
The goal here is to add multiple subdomains (CNAMEs), so we can improve pipelining performance in the browser. To do this click on the edit button on Custom Domains, and simply add multiple custom domains. Here you will be able to see where your CNAMES will need to point too. It will be something like : ‘bitdoze.bit.netdna-cdn.com’, you need to copy this into a notepad because later it will be needed to configure your CNAMES.
Once you have added the custom subdomains, then simply click update. In the Compression settings, make sure you enable GZip compression.
For the files to be updated faster to the MaxCDN Server and not have problems you can configure also the Origin IP. Your Site IP it can be found out from the site DNSWatch.info like in the below picture:
Put it like in the below box and hit update.
A good thing it will be to go to the Advanced settings tab and activate the custom robots.txt because otherwise Google will index everything.
4. Set the cPanel CNAMES to MaxCDN
Login to your cPanel, then scroll down to the Domains Section and click on Simple DNS Zone Editor.
On this page, you will need to fill out the fields to Add an CNAME Record. The two values you will be required to fill are: Name and CNAME.
- Name: This is the name of your Custom CDN Domain. For example, our custom CDN domain is cdn.bidoze.com, so we will put “cdn” in our name field.
- CNAME: This will be URL provided to you by MaxCDN when you created the pull zone. For example: “bitdoze.bit.netdna-cdn.com”.
Repeat this process for all the custom domains you will add. The CNAME value will be the same. All you are changing is the name to like “cdn”, “cdn2″ etc. Adding the CNAME method may be different if you have a non cPanel host.
5. Create a MaxCDN API key
You can get your API ID and Key from your MaxCDN Dashboard. If you go Manage Account » API. Click on add key, and create your key.
6. Install and Configure the W3 Total Cache plugin
Install and activate the plugin. On the General screen, if you scroll down, you will see the CDN box. Enable CDN and select NetDNA/MaxCDN option.
Save the settings. Now, you will need to go to CDN menu in W3 Total Cache to configure MaxCDN with WordPress. This page will ask you to enter your API ID, API Key, and your custom domain names.
After you are configure everything you can hit Test NetDNA to see if everything is OK and you have followed the above steps you should be. After the test is finished you can hit save.